Self publishing company, Blurb, seeks CMO
Steve’s breakdown: Here’s another one of those companies you want to get in on the ground floor because it’s a great idea.
SAN FRANCISCO, CA: Blurb is committed to enabling individuals and companies worldwide to express themselves through the creation of customized books and magazines for personal and or commercial use.
We strive to deliver on our mission by creating an experience that is incredibly easy to use – from book creation and customer support through printing, delivery and distribution of the products. We offer the most flexible and customizable book creation experience at a competitive price.
We are well known among creative professionals, and have a loyal following of brand enthusiasts. We strive to broaden our awareness and marketplace by expanding awareness both generally, and within segments targeted for growth.
We are looking for a seasoned marketing leader to join our growing company located in San Francisco, California. As a key member of the executive team, the CMO’s role is to provide vision and leadership for global brand strategy and for all Marketing led initiatives within Blurb.
Blurb runs lean by design. The CMO will be expected to operate successfully with a small team in San Francisco plus an international team in London coupled with a network of outsourced specialists and consultants. From day one, the CMO needs to be an entrepreneur – accustomed to wearing many hats, prioritizing strongly and driving results.
- Oversee the end-to-end consumer experience from product creation through ecommerce checkout
- Be responsible for day-to-day marketing operations
- Develop lifecycle marketing programs to enhance retention, increase average number of projects per customer, and drive referral business
- Develop and implement social media plans and email marketing strategy
- Improve use of data and analytics within the organization to gain stronger consumer insights and stronger, more targeted marketing efforts
- Raise the overall level of marketing expertise in the company – helping to make Blurb a world class marketing organization
- Ensure the organization’s messages/consumer experience are distributed appropriately across all elements of the company’s operations
- Understand and quickly adjust to changing market dynamics, translating them into actionable strategies to achieve company objectives
- Accountability for marketing/sales budgets, revenue, growth targets as well as qualitative measures to evaluate success of marketing efforts
- Leadership experience at “next gen,” high-growth, ecommerce company
- Proven track record of building a fast growing, cutting-edge marketing organization and a strong, dominant consumer brand
- Established history of hiring and retaining top talent
- Must be someone who is really excited by a challenge. Need someone who enjoys the entrepreneurial atmosphere of a small company, but has been through the experience of scaling up an enterprise to significant organization size and revenues. Experience working in a dynamic (i.e. “startup”) environment is strongly preferred
- The CMO will have an understanding of a wide range of customer acquisition methods, including SEM, SEO,Retail, Email, Viral, Social, Print, Direct Response TV/Radio, Deals, and Promotions, inbound sales
- The CMO will possess a strong track record of developing successful, innovative and cost effective marketing campaigns in an entrepreneurial and fast moving environment.
- Expert level experience using analytics to drive marketing efforts. Ideally the candidate will have gained this experience in a high volume eCommerce or Internet subscription company
- 12+ years of marketing experience with recent and significant experience in a marketing leadership position at a technology, consumer focused company, with at least 5+ years in a senior leadership role with a thorough knowledge of marketing principles, sales and business development.
- Demonstrated track record of prior success with Direct Response Advertising, Retail, Social Media, Online marketing, Retention/Loyalty, and Branding
- P&L responsibility scaling an international business (or business unit)
- Remarkable verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to lead a team with high engagement and energy