Double Trouble at Movie client who Seeks Savior
Steve’s breakdown: We got a couple of reasons to contact MoviePass. One is that shutdown that happened because they couldn’t pay their bills & they are seeking a new CMO. One might say, Steve, why contact a company with money problems? To which I say: “exactly”!
The CMO job description is after the article.
NEW YORK, NY: MoviePass, the subscription-based movie ticket service, was forced last week to borrow $5 million after it reported it could not pay its bills, raising new questions about the embattled company’s viability.
Helios and Matheson Analytics, its parent company, said in a regulatory filing on Friday that MoviePass had experienced a “service interruption” the day before because it could not make “required payments to its merchant and fulfillment processors.”
In a message to subscribers on Friday, the company’s chief executive, Mitch Lowe, apologized for the outage, during which some of its three million subscribers could not check in to see movies, and said the service was “up-and-running with stability at 100%.”
It’s far from the first time MoviePass has dealt with technical glitches and unexpected shifts in service. But after the outage, observers on Sunday sharpened their criticism of the company, which in 2011 set out to transform the industry amid rising theater ticket prices and increased competition from movie streaming services.
Chief Marketing Officer job description:
MoviePass is seeking a Chief Marketing Officer to build and run a lean, nimble team of marketing professionals with a focus on subscriber acquisition and our overall branding and reputation. This position requires a substantial breadth of experience in all areas of marketing including but not limited to digital product marketing, social media, exhibitor marketing, marketing sciences & analytics, media relations, brand & communications, events and partnerships. Specifically with a focus on the entertainment industry. The right candidate for this role will be a creative storyteller with a highly analytical mind and a passion for data and how it can be used to inform marketing tactics across multiples DMAs. We are looking for an out-of-the-box thinker to appeal to our potential subscribers in non-obvious ways. We are also looking for someone willing to roll up their sleeves and play an active role in execution.
As a key member of the MoviePass executive team, this role is responsible for the company’s core marketing strategy and execution and must be collaborative, strategic partner to the CEOs of both MoviePass and HMNY as well as the other members of the executive team. This position will be based at our New York City headquarters.
- Lead and mentor a high-performing, highly collaborative marketing team to include the following functional areas: social media & creative, email marketing, branding, exhibitor marketing, experiential, PR
- Using data and analytics, strategically grow our subscriber base, focusing on subscribers in the right markets and with the right moviegoing habits to drive toward a sustainable business model
- Ensure that MoviePass has a compelling, cohesive brand story that speaks both to potential subscribers and to potential investors
- Lead all proactive and reactive media and PR initiatives in partnership with our external PR agency, eventually bringing all efforts in-house
- Manage all communications with our subscribers on all channels
- Prioritize and manage marketing budgets to ensure maximum ROI
- Oversee digital marketing channels, including SEM, SEO, retargeting, and email and direct social media content development and campaign execution
- Partner with the Product team to help prioritize product development based on customer and market research
- Develop and cultivate cross-functional relationships with teams across MoviePass as well as with external partners
- Stay on top of competitor and potential competitor activities
What we Love to See
- 10+ years experience in B2C marketing, preferably in the entertainment or tech industry
- Highly collaborative leader with 5+ years people management experience
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or related field, Master’s degree preferred
- Proven success in customer acquisition using creative, data-driven tactics
- Successful track record of building and managing multi-functional marketing teams
- Experience in crisis management and a proven ability to manage a brand’s reputation
- The ability to produce measurable results with limited resources
- Strong understanding of audience targeting, media optimization, SEO, analytics, and content marketing
- Strong project management skills with the ability to own and drive project schedules from start to finish, including managing peers and individuals senior to you
- Experience using social and web analytics tools
- Experience with CRM and email management tools, specifically Braze
- The ability to move quickly and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent presentation, writing and communication skills
- Outstanding business acumen
- Passion for movies and entertainment
Who We Are
MoviePass is a technology company dedicated to enhancing the exploration of cinema. As the nation’s premier movie-theater subscription service, MoviePass provides film enthusiasts the ability to attend unlimited movies. The service, now accepted at more than 91% of theaters across the United States, is the nation’s largest theater network. For more information, visit www.moviepass.com.