Zoo Account Anyone?
Steve’s breakdown: The closest I’ve come to a zoo account was pitching The Bronx Zoo and we “came in second” to an agency that went totally off brief and won the biz with a retail pitch. Exactly what the client said they didn’t want. Let that be a lesson to you when approaching ZooTampa. They’re looking for a new CMO and that could mean a review soon.
The job description is below.
TAMPA, FL: Senior Vice President/Chief Marketing Officer
Position Information: Full-time Exempt
This position provides strategic leadership and coordination of Zoo’s marketing and sales objectives spearheading successful growth of earned revenue and enhanced evolution of ZooTampa’s brand.
- Direct all institutional marketing and sales functions.
- Develop strategic marketing plans aligned with Zoo business and master plans.
- Serve as steward of ZooTampa’s brand and ensure adherence to brand strategies.
- Plan and coordinate integrated communications and public affairs efforts.
- Direct and progress Zoo Tampa website, e-commerce and social media initiatives.
- Lead creative production and implementation of seasonal consumer events.
- Guide development of all company advertising as well as promotional collateral.
- Serve as member of Zoo Tampa’s Executive Leadership Team.
- Participate in board of trustee meetings and serve on associated committees.
- Create a culture of excellence, success and ongoing goal achievement.
- Administer marketing team operations and resources to deliver efficient managed growth.
- Analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of sales methods and results.
- Represent the company at relevant community and/or business meetings/trade shows.
- Manage and monitor incentive plan to monitor performance and motivate staff.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or related field with masters degree or equivalent preferred.
- Ten to fifteen years of related marketing experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent strategic planning skills.
- Very strong organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Proven track record in marketing, branding, communications, and event production.
- Experience in managing advertising, including managing agency relations.
- Experience with initiating and assessing market research.
- Proven ability to accurately forecast, track performance and financial trends.
- Demonstrated capacity in making informed decisions of consistently high quality.
- Ability to anticipate, think ahead and plan over multiple-year time span.
- Aptitude to build and sustain high performance teams.
- Proven ability to lead people and get results through others.
- Highly capable in organizing and managing multiple priorities.
- Resourceful problem resolution capabilities at both a strategic and functional level.
- Proven ability to create synergistic and collaborative relationships.
- Conduct all activities in alignment with AZA standards and guidelines, all relevant laws and regulations, safety standards, and standards that ensure animal welfare.
- Previous zoo, aquarium or theme park experience preferred, but not required.
- Ability to work long hours and varying shifts, including nights and week-end, to support special events and the needs of the operation.
- Some travel required (15%).
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and ability to adapt well to other computer programs.