You’ve always wanted to slip on a pants account
Steve’s breakdown: Consider the featured commercial that’s not at all like the animated campaign Duluth Trading Company have been running for years. Then add the fact they are looking for a new CMO and we see an opportunity.
The job posting is below.
Reports To: President and CEO
Direct Reports: Director of E-Commerce, Director of Customer Insights, Sr. Manager of Marketing, Creative Director, and external partners including Advertising, Media, PR, and Digital Marketing agencies.
We are currently seeking a Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) to focus on customer acquisition and retention and to drive profitable sales in an omnichannel environment. The Chief Marketing Officer is responsible for setting the marketing vision, creating strategies to maximize the productivity of marketing spend and utilizing marketing initiatives to achieve corporate goals. This position oversees the omnichannel marketing efforts, including digital, e-commerce, PR, social media and retail. He/she is responsible for business growth through the look, the feel, and the tone of the brand, increasing the brand equity and brand awareness as a differentiated omnichannel men’s and women’s brand.
The CMO is an officer of the company and is a member of the leadership team. As a member of the officer group of the company, the CMO will participate in weekly business meetings with the CEO and Executive Chairman. Also, this person will play an active role in four Board meetings per year, interacting with our Board of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop revenue strategy – build the marketing plan and implement key marketing, sales and customer-centric programs that will grow the customer base, improve retention and increase the lifetime value of customers.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to a dynamic team of over 40 talented people, insuring output of the highest standard to reflect the Duluth Trading brand and storytelling.
- Lead direct marketing activities – own the direct marketing function in relation to both customer acquisition and loyalty/retention driven programs. Work with media planning/buying agency to build media plans to best deliver breakthrough marketing initiatives that drive sales.
- Optimize marketing spend across all channels to achieve brand awareness, sales, and profitability goals.
- Lead the partnership with our external advertising agency and PR firm.
- Develop and collaborate with creative leaders as well as leadership and managers in budgeting and forecasting.
- Inspire a visual level; refine designs; lend a critical eye to all creative, structural and technical output.
- Foster, inspire and build strong in-house teams whose creative and strategic product rivals that of iconic, successful passion-based brands.
- Responsible for the identification, vetting, and strong relationships with our key business partners, such as printers, photographers, and publicity teams.
- Lead E-commerce and digital marketing teams to create impactful programs that drive topline sales.
- Committed to learning and a high level of self-awareness, humility, and curiosity.
- Team-building to create an engaged and high-performing marketing team.
- Creative and compelling communication to be an evangelist to drive positive change.
Knowledge and Background Requirements
- Passion for building brands, creating lasting customer relationships, and mentoring teams.
- A strong marketing background with the ability to recognize great storytelling and visual
- Omni-channel creative leadership experience and notable successes.
- Strong critical thinking & analytical skills and a proven track record of identifying and executing strategies that have helped to change the course of a business.
- History of translating customer insights into marketing strategies that drive revenues and grow customer value.
- Excellent organizational, communications and leadership skills. Ability to work collaboratively with peers and external partners.
Who we are:
We are a “no bull” brand that started in 1989, and we provide apparel and other gear for hardworking men and women. Favorites such as our Ballroom® Jeans featuring “crouch without the ouch,” Buck Naked™ Underwear and our Longtail T® Shirts that hide “plumber’s butt” reflect our attitude.
The heart of Duluth Trading’s success is creating one-of-a-kind men’s and women’s clothing, innovative tools and ingenious gadgets while being humorous story tellers. The talented people we seek want to be proud of where they work, have a commitment to do things better and be part of a retail, web and catalog apparel company that knows where it’s going.