Your kid might have a loan you could make disappear
Steve’s breakdown: As we always say, find an CMO – find a new client . . .
NEWARK, DE: Sallie Mae, the nation’s leading provider of student loans and administrator of college savings plans, has helped millions of Americans achieve their dream of a higher education.
Sallie Mae is proud to help Americans aspiring to create the life they want-whether that means helping them make college happen, or something more. Our colleagues across departments and across the country are united in our passion and our customer-first approach. Whether you want to join a growing company, be part of an agile workforce, or gain new skills-you’re in the right place.
The Chief Marketing Officer will report directly to the CEO and be a key member of the executive leadership team. As a trusted advisor to the executive team, the CMO will be a key contributor to the strategic vision for Sallie Mae as we transform our business to anticipate and meet the future needs of consumers, deliver a best-in-class brand experience, and leverage multiple platforms and technologies to fuel our business on its growth curve journey.
The candidate will be the Chief Marketing Officer of the Business and will have full responsibility for developing a comprehensive marketing plan that emphasizes brand and product strategy, marketing spend efficiency, and business intelligence to optimize customer acquisition and retention. While the initial approach may contain elements of more “traditional” marketing campaigns, the overall goal is to develop a state-of-the-art, direct-to-consumer marketing operation with a focus on the online and digital channels, leveraging alternative data and analytics to refine customer targeting and loyalty.
Core Responsibilities will include:
- Developing a comprehensive brand and marketing strategy for the Business, including brand / sub-brand architecture, advertising campaign design and implementation, and optimal staging / scaling of the go-to-market strategy
- Establishing a cost-efficient and highly-targeted customer acquisition strategy across channels (online, offline, and value-added affiliates / partnerships) with a sophisticated approach to customer segmentation
- Executing customer acquisition and brand campaigns, with enhancement and refinement as appropriate based on observed channel performance and returns on marketing investment
- Product design, including defining and implementing product feature sets across target markets to optimize adoption and customer loyalty
- Working with the CEO on new product development and adapting the marketing strategy and infrastructure based on marketplace dynamics
- Working with the Chief Technology Officer to develop internal business intelligence systems to monitor, track, and analyze multi-channel marketing campaigns and advertising / customer acquisition spend
- Navigating a highly regulated and controlled environment
- Recruiting and hiring key members of the marketing team
- Work with the CEO and the management team to develop a detailed business plan for the Business including (i) a product plan (ii) a technology roadmap, (iii) a marketing / branding strategy, and (iv) a compliance framework.
- Instilling strong operating discipline, including sound marketing practices and culture
- Managing internal and external constituents and building relationships with and influencing key stakeholders, including data providers / vendors, marketing affiliates, and channel partners.
- Entrepreneurial approach to diversify, transform and grow business
- Significant contribution and accountability towards total company revenues, profit chain, key performance indicators and risk
- Developing an effective organization structure, a macro view of talent that fosters the development of key talent and addition of new capabilities to carry the organization forward, and modeling and shaping a culture that aligns with the values of the company.
- Leading a divisional area; provides leadership and direction through senior leaders having broad responsibility for those areas
- Leading and navigating significant enterprise change within the organization
- Board of Director presence and accountability
- Managing all products and marketing/sales budgets, revenue, profit targets as well as qualitative measures to evaluate success of marketing and sales programs
- Continually improving alignment of each functional group to support the go to market strategies including sales process, sales process tools, business development organization structure, legal, finance, compensation, hiring & selection criteria, and rewards and recognition. Set the strategy for market segmentation, competitive analysis/market intelligence, prospecting, lead generation, promotions, communications, sales force effectiveness, strategic planning and revenue retention and growth
- Leveraging data and analytics to drive insights. Develop effective methods to track and evaluate performance by identifying and reporting on key metrics that evaluate the performance of the company’s marketing/sales strategies
- Developing strategies that enhance the customer experience that allows the enterprise to deepen customer relationships resulting in incremental product sales
- Providing leadership of the design and management on all aspects of web strategy with focus on site navigation, self-service and conversion metrics
- Candidate must possess a BA or BS from an accredited four-year institution. MBA or equivalent preferred.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS:
The successful candidate will have experience as a Chief Marketing Officer or Chief Product Officer of an organization with a focus on customer segmentation and acquisition.
The successful candidate will have the following core strengths and traits:
- Collaborates: invites wide perspectives; builds culture of working across boundaries; consensus builder
- Instills Trust: dependable; consistent between words and actions; positive reputation
- Situational Adaptability: brings adaptable approach that becomes ingrained in organization; guides organization to remain flexible in changes/competitive environment; initiates changes in response to external environment
- Drives Vision & Purpose: ensures clarity around organizations vision, mission, and values; sustains organization wide energy toward the future; balances innovative impulses with an analytical and decisive side
- Cultivates Innovation: creates culture that nurtures creativity; removes barriers to creativity & innovation; desire to drive change in an organization; imaginative
- Courage to champion an idea or position despite dissent and humility to admit mistakes and share achievements
The candidate will ideally have:
- An extensive understanding and substantial knowledge of direct-to-consumer marketing with a focus on the online / digital channel
- Track record of successfully developing and implementing multi-channel marketing campaigns and associated policies and procedures
- Understanding of technology and analytics platforms in the context of customer acquisition and segmentation
- History of incorporating creative and innovative approaches to brand strategy, product design, and campaign management
- Creatively applied insights to business challenges and validated decisions with data
- Created seamless customer experiences across media and revenue channels
- Led efforts to put the customer at the center throughout the organization
- Been accountable for diverse disciplines or departments within major division or region
- Contributed to and influenced key performance indicators
- Interacted with senior leaders and Board of Directors; influenced decisions within division concerning multiple departments; mission leader that transcended department or division
- Budget oversight, organization structure/design, expense management and contributed and/or influenced line of business revenue/profitability, operational cost efficiency or equivalent company risk
- Executed strategies that fostered a macro view of talent