San Diego State University’s recruiting an CMO
SAN DIEGO, CA: San Diego State University is the oldest and largest higher education institution in the San Diego region. Since its founding in 1897, SDSU has grown to offer bachelor’s degrees in 91 areas, master’s degrees in 78 areas and doctorates in 22 areas. SDSU’s approximately 35,000 students participate in an academic curriculum distinguished by direct contact with faculty and an increasing international emphasis that prepares them for a global future.
SDSU is a large, diverse, urban university and Hispanic-Serving Institution with a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusive excellence. Our campus community is diverse in many ways, including in terms of race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, and covered veteran status. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming environment for all.
SDSU is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups.
This position is in the Management Personnel Plan (Administrator II) and earns management benefits including medical, dental, vision, $100,000 life insurance plan, and the CalPERS pension plan. For more information on benefits included for this position please see our benefits summaries.
The College of Business Administration (CBA) at San Diego State University is seeking a Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) to create and implement the college’s global marketing and public relations strategy and manage the college’s creative team.
Reporting directly to the Dean, the CMO is responsible for the college’s integrated marketing efforts, with a primary goal of managing the college’s reputation via internal and external strategies. The CMO will work closely with the Dean, the college’s leadership team, key faculty and staff to create a global vision and positioning for the CBA brand, and supporting the college’s initiatives to become a leader in management education. The CMO will have primary responsibility for a Marketing Communications Team (MCT) of approximately four marketing professionals, along with student assistants, charges with creating and implementing effectives marketing strategies across an array of communications channels and touchpoints.
The MCT is charged with planning and executing creative across an array of media – including print, web, email, social media, mobile, advertising, public relations, and direct marketing channels – to reach the college’s primary external audiences (prospective students, alumni, donors and prospective donors, corporate partners, peer institutions, and the media) and internal audiences (faculty, staff, students and the wider University community).
Marketing and Branding Strategy
• Set a vision and execute the Dean’s communications and crisis management strategies.
• Set short- and long-term marketing strategies that reach all key external constituents, and effectively communicate and reinforce the schools strategy.
• Deliver a global communications strategy in alignment with recruitment and enrollment goals across all programs.
Organizational Communications and Public Relations
• Direct media relations activities, developing an integrated and measureable global public relations strategy for the college.
• Design and implement a comprehensive internal communications plan aimed at reaching key constituents within the SDSU community.
• Network with alumni base and corporate partners to sense and illuminate opportunities to enrich and expand CBA’s relevancy to these key stakeholders; provide support for critical development communications.
• Represent CBA within network of leading business schools and peer institutions.
• Represent CBA with the SDSU marketing and communications community; foster partnerships and align objectives with others colleges on campus.
Administration and Supervision
• Provide broad direction to editorial, creative, and marketing managers to align planning and creative activities with top-level objectives.
• Manage the interests of multiple stakeholders, including faculty, administrators, corporate partners, and alumni.
• Interface with the University’s Office of the Vice President of Communications to understand greater university positioning and activities.
• Manage the development and maintenance of the units operating budget.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with internal stakeholders and C-level executives to advance an institution’s goals.
• A proven track record of developing and supporting employees, with an ability to manage performance and strategy.
• Supervisory experience with a professional staff and the ability to manage performance and strategy.
• Must have strong interpersonal skills.
Experience and Education
• Bachelor’s degree in related field.
• Three to seven years of progressively responsible experience in marketing, public relations or communications.
• Demonstrated success in developing and implementing an integrated public relations strategy; ability to direct, coordinate, and drive significant media interest.
• Experience with formal marketing planning; demonstrated understanding of the value of marketing analytics and their role in developing strategy.
• Experience engaging with customers across multiple channels; demonstrated best-in-class use of both traditional and new media, including use of emerging technologies.
• Proven track record of innovation and ability to apply strategic, long-term thinking; focus on developing a culture of innovation.
• Experience developing and managing a budget.
• Must be available for U.S. and international travel as required.
• Ten years of progressively responsible experience in marketing, public relations or communications or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Master’s degree strongly preferred.
• Demonstrate an understanding of the competitive global landscape in which CBA operates.
• Demonstrate an understanding of the complexity of marketing to a diverse audience spanning multiple generations of thought and behavior.
• Experience developing effective, Multinational advertising strategy.
• Experience developing alumni engagement and/or customer retention strategies.