Jets.com is now “a” Walmart
Steve’s breakdown: Walmart’s CEO wrote the blog post below and basically told us what the main change will be with communications. Jet.com will join Walmart with the “saving people money so that they can live better” strategy. How they execute that could be up to you.
HOBOKEN, NJ: Just a few moments ago, the ink dried on a deal that officially makes Jet.com a part of the Walmart family.
The close of this deal marks a big day for both companies. A lot of folks ask me, “Why Jet.com?” The answer is simple: Walmart and Jet.com obsess about saving customers time and money. By joining forces, we’ll be better at doing both, creating seamless shopping from app to site to store. Here are a few more reasons why we’re excited about this deal:
1) Jet.com brings more ways to serve our customers and reach new customers online. Jet.com created a unique, transparent way for customers to shop, helping them make choices that lower their prices as they shop — from building smarter baskets to opting out of free returns and using debit cards. This has helped Jet.com win fans among savvy shoppers and will help us put the power to save in more shoppers’ hands. Look for that on Walmart.com.
2) The deal will build on our e-commerce foundation and accelerate growth.We’ve grown Walmart.com to the second largest online retailer by traffic in the U.S. and in just the past six months we’ve expanded from 7 million items to more than 15 million on the site. We’re adding about a million more each month. We’ve built an impressive fulfillment network that uses mega-sized fulfillment centers and our stores to get orders to customers faster. Within a year, we’ve created one of the largest online grocery businesses in the country.
3) Jet.com’s and Walmart.com’s customer bases are complementary. Jet.com is a hit among urban millennials, and it will continue to focus on delivering premium brands and experiences. Walmart.com is winning value-conscious shoppers with everyday low prices by keeping costs low. And that’s enhanced by a wide assortment and convenient store pickup options. Together, both Jet.com and Walmart.com will be able to leverage each other’s assets to grow the ways we serve customers.
4) Jet.com boasts incredible talent. Marc is both a visionary e-commerce leader and a merchant. He brings with him a smart and talented team that, when combined with ours, will be the best in retail.
5) Together, Jet.com and Walmart can win the future of retail. We’re in the business of “saving people money so that they can live better.” But the value of our customers’ time cannot be overstated. To win the future of retail, we must save customers both money and time. By combining with Jet.com’s technology, shopping experience, customers and talent, we will do exactly that. We will exceed their expectations!