CUNY Alumni Association is recruiting a new CMO
Steve’s breakdown: There are 1.3 million alums of CUNY so they have to create and execute significant campaigns. Give them a hand in find their new CMO and you’ll have a new account.
NEW YORK, NY: About Us
The CUNY Alumni Association is a not-for-profit whose purpose is to strengthen the City University of New York’s (CUNY) alumni community as well as help promote the interest and well-being of the current students, faculty and alumni.
As of 2014, there were more than 270,000 degree-credit students at 24 campuses across New York City and over one million alumni across the world. We plan to leverage this extensive student and alumni body to facilitate networking events and provide opportunities to give back to the current enrolled students.
We plan on organizing to connect all alumni of CUNY to bring together and establish a dialogue of the shared experiences, professional networks and leverage resources among alumni and current students. It is often the case that a CUNY alumnus has more than one CUNY alma-matters and wants the opportunity to give back to, as well as reunite with colleagues from each of those institutions.
In charge of planning, executing and managing CUNY Alumni Association Inc.’s marketing strategy.
The Chief Marketing Officer will directly report to the CEO and be responsible for the development of the organization’s marketing and communication strategy and will contribute to CUNY Alumni Association’s organizational strategic planning process. They will develop a world-class communications plan for CUNY Alumni Association Inc., directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s brand reputation.
The Chief Marketing Officer will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership.
This individual will be an ambassador for the organization and will need to build relationships with the media. The goal is to advance the organization’s position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness and donor support for the organization. They will also be responsible for CUNY Alumni Association Inc.’s varied and integrated communications products and services including: newsletters and other print publications; media and public relations; and marketing.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance CUNY Alumni Association Inc.’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences
- Create marketing/public relations strategy that will allow CUNY Alumni Association Inc. leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers
- Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Serve as communications counselor to CUNY Alumni Association Inc.’s Executive Director and Board of Directors
- Oversee development of all CUNY Alumni Association Inc. print communications including the annual report, marketing collateral materials and electronic communications including CUNY Alumni Association Inc.’s website and new media; manage relationships with associated vendors
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding CUNY Alumni Association Inc. programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and staff development
- Recruit and manage a communications team to support the development and execution of the communications strategy
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities and conduct annual performance appraisals
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- A minimum of two years of experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories
- Comfort in proactively building relationships with reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Experience in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization’s mission and goals
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive
- Team player who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills; Persuasive communicator
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Passion for CUNY Alumni Association Inc.’s mission