Business Development Manager Job in DC
Steve’s breakdown: There seems to be a serge of New Business job becoming available. They were few and far between for so long.
WASHINGTON, DC: Beutler Ink (aka BINK), a mid-size, distributed, digital-first creative agency specializing in Social Media, Visual Design, and Wikipedia Engagement, and seeks a New Business Manager to join our growing team of 20+. As an integral part of Beutler Ink’s team, your primary responsibilities will be: Lead the development and implementation of a business development plan – with the input of Beutler’s leadership team – that supports the strategic and growth goals of the firm; lead business development initiatives including, developing criteria for vetting new business; researching, identifying, and qualifying new leads; creating meaningful connections to drive and build strong relationships with potential prospects/clients; and lead and coordinate marketing initiatives and the proposal development process.
POSITION DESCRIPTION, AKA HOW YOU WILL HELP US BUILD FOR SUCCESS
Beutler Ink’s Vision
- Understand and define the criteria that define a qualified prospect
- Provide input on industry trends including agency competitors and client industries, as well as potential growth/new opportunities and new technologies that may impact our clients
- Help support Beutler Ink’s overall culture, values, and mission
- Contributes to an efficient, professional, and proactive culture
Business Development (65% → 80%)
- Leads the development and execution of a business development plan, establishing revenue targets that support and achieve these goals
- Forms deep, meaningful, trust-based, long-lasting, and consultative relationships with current and prospective clients and industry connectors; looks for opportunities to leverage, cross-sell, or extend our services to other aspects of our clients’ businesses
- Proactively researches, identifies, communicates with, and qualifies new leads/prospects and recommends effective ways to engage with them
- Creates visibility and transparency in the new business development process and pipeline; tracks and records daily activity and updates of in-process and emerging leads, forecasting and maintaining momentum
- Works closely with the leadership team to ensure that proposals are correctly priced to produce acceptable profit margins, and that suggested project schedules are realistic
- Provides leadership with quantitative and qualitative data (e.g., estimated returns versus costs, impact on average project margins and account margins, etc.) that support decisions to pursue leads
- Identifies and actively participates in client-facing events and affiliations (e.g., conferences, trade shows, media channels, meetings, professional organizations, etc.) to create industry awareness of Beutler and establish meaningful connections to prospects as well as foster existing client relationships
- Works closely with Beutler’s creative and strategy teams to assist in generating and presenting compelling capability presentations and meetings
- Together with other Beutler team members leads successful presentations and meetings to high-level or select prospects that result in moving forward with the next steps
- Leads proposal development process, providing any relationship or new business insight; drafts proposal decks and SOW (statement of work) documents from call notes and existing templates; coordinates all necessary content and feedback from the team members (Client Partners, Lead Strategists, and Creative Director) and ensures a cohesive, unified proposal development approach
- Stays abreast of and monitors industry and market trends, what competitors are up to, and Beutler’s evolving capabilities to strengthen and ensure the relevance of (i.e., update) business development strategies and to suggest new service opportunities
- Stays in frequent contact with key prospects and existing/past clients to inform them about new developments in Beutler’s services and company to keep the lines of communication open and drive new business opportunities
- Periodically checks-in and attends as needed any necessary/high-level in-person meetings/presentations to enhance and maintain one-on-one relationships with new and existing clients
Marketing (25% → 15%)
- Leads Beutler’s marketing, public relations, thought-leadership and social media efforts/strategies to communicate Beutler’s capabilities, unique selling points, expertise, value proposition, and process and explores ways to leverage these efforts (if any) in upcoming new business efforts; this includes
- Developing a marketing strategy and marketing plan for Beutler, along with identifying and management of deadlines, tactics and resources needed to execute (e.g. email blasts, website updates, case studies, promotional material)
- Identifying and management of awards and competitions that raise awareness of Beutler to both prospects and within our own industry (e.g. creative competitions, agency awards)
- Identifying thought-leadership opportunities for Beutler team members and manage their speaking schedule and their development and submission of thought-leadership content
- Works with creative team on the vision and development of Beutler’s brand standards and assets
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS, AKA WHAT YOU’LL ADD TO OUR TEAM
- Minimum 5 years of practical experience in a new business, sales, or development position in a creative agency
- Strong understanding of social media services and visual content development
- Track record of developing strong, loyal, and robust client relationships, ideally with some experience in proactive lead generation for a creative agency
- Facility and comfort with developing connections with people inside and outside of an organization; adept at seeking out, building and maintaining strong relationships – you are a ‘people-person’
- Experience utilizing and maintaining/updating CRM technology to manage and track contacts (clients, prospects, connectors, media) and Beutler’s new business development pipeline
- Empathy for and intuition surrounding needs and motivations of prospects and clients; exceptional listening skills
- Ability to become proficient in Beutler’s service offerings; ability to articulate the full range of services as well as their interrelationships and synergies
- Proven expertise collaborating with multiple stakeholders – specifically, leadership – across disciplines
- Experience conducting market and competitive research
- Passionate about and comfortable with presenting, explaining, and executing out-of-the-box business development initiatives
- Outstanding presentation and meeting facilitation skills
- Organized, detail-oriented, multi-tasker, and self-motivated
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, interpersonal and time-management skills
- Must bring passion, positivity, energy, and enthusiasm to our team
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
We would be Wowed by this experience:
- Success at a prior agency as the New Business Development Manager
- Previous experience as a Sales Manager or Account Manager
- Expert-level proficiency in Google Workspace
- Experience with project management software, prefer experience in TeamWork, Monday, Harvest, Dropbox, and Slack
- Experience working remotely across multiple time zones, cloud-based tools, locations and departments (strategy, design, production and development) for successful results (on time, on budget, seamless launches)
Paid Time Off, flex Friday option, health insurance, 401k, Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Spending Account, paid parental leave, life insurance, discretionary professional development budget
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, send a cover letter and résumé to [email protected] with the subject line: “YOUR NAME Applying for New Business Manager (example: Jane Doe Applying for New Business Manager)
$60,000-$75,000 plus incentive
WHY YOU WILL LOVE WORKING AT BEUTLER INK
Here at Beutler Ink, we are…
- 100% remote from day one
o Roughly two-thirds of our team is on the West Coast, but several key members start their day on Eastern Time, and we have numerous employees scattered across the heartland.
- Living Single, Married With Children, Grown-ish, etc.
o Our team includes employees in various stages of life development, from fresh college graduates to seasoned professionals, committed singles to devoted parents. That is to say we’re an inclusive bunch and we are supportive of many different lifestyles.
- Supportive balancers
o We love what we do at BINK, but we never let that distract us from our lives outside of work. With our flexible scheduling and open communication, our team will make sure you get the support you need to balance your work at BINK and your personal life.
- Agile adapters
o Working in amorphous areas like Wikipedia and “digital listening” means we field a lot of curveballs. And let us tell you, we’re great at catching them. We’re quick on our feet (er, keyboards?) and ready to adapt, like a team of digital 007s.
- Committed to high standards
o Through collaboration among our diverse and skilled team of “rock stars”, and keen organization across our myriad digital platforms, we make up the dream team for streamlining client deliverables. We prioritize clear communication, documented processes, detailed context to aid understanding, and work that is consistently high-quality and in-line with “white hat” industry best practices.
- Ethical, Equitable, Inclusive
o Our commitment to team support, white hat tactics, and quality is not limited to client work, but extends to our ethical standards and ever-developing team culture. HR-related experience with internal cultural initiatives and hiring processes that support diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts is a major plus.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If your experience is close to what you see listed here, please still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering a diverse and collaborative environment, and offer.