Revlon & Elizabeth Arden tie the knot
Steve’s breakdown: Three things:
1) We think this acquisition puts all Elizabeth Arden agencies on notice
2) It also puts a lot of cash in the hands of Elizabeth Arden
3) Time to make make friends at Elizabeth Arden
NEW YORK, NY: Revlon, Inc. and Elizabeth Arden, Inc. today announced that they have signed a definitive agreement under which Revlon will acquire all of the outstanding shares of Elizabeth Arden for $14.00 per share in cash, representing an enterprise value for Elizabeth Arden of approximately $870 million.
By bringing together two highly complementary, iconic brand portfolios, Revlon will benefit from greater scale, an expanded global footprint, and a significant presence across all major beauty channels and categories, including the addition of Elizabeth Arden’s growing prestige skin care, color cosmetics and fragrances. The combination will leverage Revlon’s scale across major vendors and manufacturing partners, improving distribution and procurement. Cost synergies of approximately $140 million are expected to be achieved through the elimination of duplicative activities, leveraging purchasing scale, and optimizing the manufacturing and distribution networks of the combined company. The companies anticipate that they will achieve additional growth opportunities in both sales channels and geographies.
- Expanded Category Mix: Revlon’s strength and expertise in color cosmetics, hair care, men’s grooming, antiperspirants, deodorants and beauty tools will be complemented by the addition of Elizabeth Arden’s world-class portfolio of licensed prestige fragrances and the internationally recognized line of Elizabeth Arden-branded prestige skin care, color cosmetics and fragrance products, highly profitable categories that are key to future industry growth.
- Channel Diversification: Elizabeth Arden’s strong global reach in prestige distribution and travel retail will complement Revlon’s strength in mass and salons, strongly positioning the combined company in all key beauty channels.
- Broader Geographic Footprint: Revlon currently sells its products in approximately 130 countries. With Elizabeth Arden’s presence in important international growth regions, including Asia Pacific, the combined company will be better positioned to compete globally.
Fabian Garcia, President and Chief Executive Officer of Revlon, Inc., said: “This acquisition is strategically and financially compelling. Elizabeth Arden and Revlon are both known for their iconic brands, entrepreneurial spirit and commitment to innovation, quality and excellence. Revlon plans to build upon Elizabeth Arden’s ongoing transformation by further enhancing the brand, with even more vibrant and relevant product development and marketing, while carefully preserving its unique heritage within prestige. Combining our brands, talent, and global distribution will give our company a significant presence in all major channels and categories, while accelerating sales growth in existing and new geographic regions. We look forward to bringing together our two top-notch teams to form a global leader in beauty.”
E. Scott Beattie, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Elizabeth Arden, said: “We believe this is a compelling transaction that delivers certain value to our shareholders, while recognizing the unique equity in the Elizabeth Arden brand, our impressive fragrance portfolio and global footprint, as well as the positive momentum and growth potential for our business. We look forward to working with the Revlon leadership team to create a leading global beauty company, able to provide accelerated growth for the Elizabeth Arden-branded products as well as our prestige licensed fragrance portfolio, and broader opportunities for many of our employees.”
Revlon is a global beauty company that provides a range of cosmetics, hair color, hair care and hair treatments, beauty tools, men’s grooming products, antiperspirant deodorants, fragrances, skin care, and other beauty care products. Revlon’s Consumer segment global brand portfolio includes Revlon® color cosmetics, Almay® color cosmetics, SinfulColors® color cosmetics, Pure Ice® color cosmetics, Revlon ColorSilk® hair color, Revlon® Beauty Tools, Charlie® fragrances, and Mitchum® antiperspirant deodorants. Revlon’s Professional segment global brand portfolio includes: Revlon Professional®, CND®, including CND’s Shellac® brand 14+ day nail color and Vinylux® weekly nail polish, and American Crew® men’s grooming products. Websites featuring current product and promotional information can be reached at www.revlon.com, www.almay.com, www.mitchum.com, www.revlonprofessional.com, www.americancrew.com and www.cnd.com.
ABOUT ELIZABETH ARDEN
Elizabeth Arden is a global prestige beauty products company with an extensive portfolio of prestige beauty brands sold in over 120 countries. The Company’s brand portfolio includes Elizabeth Arden skin care, color and fragrance products; its professional skin care line, Elizabeth Arden PRO; the designer fragrance brands of Juicy Couture, John Varvatos and Wildfox Couture; the heritage fragrance brands of Britney Spears, White Diamonds Elizabeth Taylor, Curve, Giorgio Beverly Hills, Ed Hardy, Jennifer Aniston, Lucky Brand, Paul Sebastian, Halston, Geoffrey Beene, Rocawear, Alfred Sung, White Shoulders and BCBGMAXAZRIA; and the celebrity fragrance brands of Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj, Mariah Carey and Justin Bieber.