Vantage Deluxe World Travel in search of CMO
Steve’s breakdown: In a few words, this is a direct, digital and local advertising opportunity. Formally, their new CMO will be responsible for: Develop Brand Strategy, Lead Marketing Communications, Oversee Online Properties, Own the Direct Marketing platform & Lead a Dynamic Team of approximately 40 professionals.
Here’s the job description:
BOSTON, MA: Vantage Deluxe World Travel is a $300 million, state-of-the-art direct marketer of travel to the affluent mature market. When you join the Vantage team you become part of a global company, headquartered in Boston, with eight regional offices around the world. Our worldwide teams work together to provide exciting, culturally enriching travel programs to destinations on all seven continents, including on our European river cruise fleet. Since 1983, more than 400,000 travelers have joined us to see the world.
We are currently seeing a Chief Marketing Officer to focus on customer acquisition and retention to drive Vantage’s business. This executive will lead strategic marketing initiatives, manage the customer database, define customer communications, CRM functions, loyalty programs and oversee the inbound and outbound customer sales interaction including the digital and e-commerce. As a key priority, s/he will lead the direct marketing initiatives across channels, including web/interactive, digital channel development, direct mail, and advertising.
By understanding consumer segmentation, behavior, and trends relative to Vantage’s business, the Chief Marketing Officer will work closely with the senior management team to develop and implement a strategic marketing plan, including providing a solid understanding of industry-relevant, consumer insights.
In addition, the Chief Marketing Officer will spearhead the analysis of new products, services, partners and distribution channels to continue to position the Company’s diversified set of travel packages, products and services. S/he will lead the evaluation and implementation of potential changes and enhancements in the Company’s current distribution strategy. The role will take on a consultative approach as the Chief Marketing Officer works closely with operations and finance to build the strategic marketing dimension which continues to have a greater emphasis on digital channels and emerging technologies that support customer dialogue.
S/he will understand how to effectively mine the Company’s existing database to increase the lifetime values of its current members, as well as how to implement strategies to profitably grow the target audience to drive the Company’s top line revenue.
Develop Brand Strategy. Build the marketing plan and implement key marketing, sales, and customer service programs to grow the customer base and gain sustainable revenue. Work closely with key departments (e.g. – operations and finance) to implement and evaluate effective marketing and sales programs.
Lead Marketing Communications. Provide leadership to all public relations efforts, including local marketing and events. In addition, this person will spearhead the branding and communication associated with new product and service launches, and will lead the development of all channels of customer contact. Identify and implement strategic marketing initiatives and create alliance partnerships.
Oversee Online Properties. This includes the design and implementation of robust online interfaces with the customer to enhance the quality and frequency of dialogue with existing and potential customers, and ultimately to drive online bookings. Design, test and implement proactive strategies to acquire and retain customers, including creative ways to introduce customers to the differentiated products and services unique to Vantage Deluxe World Travel.
Own the Direct Marketing platform. Lead the production and distribution of direct mail and email. Provide leadership to CRM initiatives and manage the quality and content of customer data. Evaluate trends and spearhead enhancements. Initiate innovation relative to what Vantage captures and how it leverages this information.
Lead a Dynamic Team. Motivate and retain a team of approximately 40 professionals to support the growth of the strategic marketing function. Collaborate with colleagues in operations and finance to share the excitement around strategic marketing initiatives.
Qualifications & Experience:
The Chief Marketing Officer will bring credibility and leadership to invigorate Vantage’s marketing function. The successful candidate should have relevant experience creating and implementing marketing plans, including a solid background in identifying customers and understanding value propositions. S/He should be comfortable with the collection and analysis of data and the presentation of results to a wide variety of audiences. In addition, s/he should be straightforward, fact-based, and down-to-earth, with an ability to work in partnership with the COO who also shares a passion for the marketing functions critical to the business.
- Customer Identification & Retention. The Chief Marketing Officer must have solid experience with owning the direct marketing function in relation to both customer acquisition and loyalty-building programs. This executive will need to bring a strategic approach to identifying and capturing the most profitable targets with the metrics and ROI defined.
- Marketing Strategy. The successful candidate will have led the process to develop marketing plans with the objective of growing a business. This executive should have proven experience thinking ―out of the box‖ to identify target markets and segments through the most effective channels, including strong knowledge of web-based initiatives.
- Service-Industry Exposure. The Chief Marketing Officer preferably should understand the dynamics of working in a high-touch service industry where customer and channel dynamics drive the business.
- Alliances. It is important that this executive have experience building relationships with service providers and companies that extend the brand offering. Evidence creating alliances to leverage synergies and create win-win situations is critical in the successful candidate.
Leadership & Management Behavioral Competencies:
- Communication & Presentation Skills. The Chief Marketing Officer will need to reach out to a wide audience both internal and external to Vantage. The executive will work closely with the COO as well as the finance teams. In addition, s/he will present management with the relevant trends and interpretations to enhance product positioning and definition. This executive will isolate and interpret the key drivers of the marketing mix for the various functions represented on the management team, and therefore will need to be a clear and concise communicator.
- Persuade & Influence. The executive must have a proven track record in painting a vision and rallying different stakeholders behind this vision with a fact-driven approach. The Chief Marketing Officer must have the credibility of approach and delivery to achieve buy-in to new ideas and concepts. In addition, this person must not be arrogant – rather straightforward, approachable, and, overall, hands-on.
- Analytical Thinking. From a marketing strategy perspective, this executive will need to provide intellectual rigor to the interpretation of trends and data. It will be critical that the successful candidate have an ability to sift through significant amounts of information to isolate the core essence of what that data could be mean to Vantage. S/He will need to be able to quickly analyze reports and execute a plan of action in a fast paced environment.
- Entrepreneurial. This executive will roll up his or her sleeves and help to drive project-related work as appropriate. S/He will have the flexibility to change directions and assimilate feedback as appropriate, balancing confidence and credibility while incorporating helpful insights from others in the organization.
Vantage values motivation, commitment, initiative, and a sense of humor. We’re looking for team players who thrive in a diverse and dynamic work environment. If you think you fit the bill, we invite you to apply online today.